At Communities for Recovery we say, “Give to Keep.” As a trained Peer Recovery Coach, you can keep your sobriety strong by giving support and guidance to others who are newer to recovery.
Communities for Recovery is proud to provide a structured way for individuals who have lived experience in recovery to help others along their recovery journeys.
Our five-day Peer Recovery Coach Institute is your first step towards becoming a certified Peer Recovery Coach. During the 40 hours of training, you will learn how to draw from your own experiences and recovery best practices to be an effective coach and mentor. The Institute is offered several times throughout the year, on weekdays and weekends. If you’re interested in becoming a Peer Recovery Coach, take the next step to get certified.
Contact Training and Leadership Coordinator Selinda Stockley with questions.
To become a Peer Recovery Coach, you must be age 18 or older, have lived experience with recovery, and have at least one year of continuous sobriety. It is also important that you are comfortable with publicly identifying as a person in recovery, and that you have a desire to help others with their recovery process.
Through lectures, discussions, and role plays, you will obtain a strong foundation in the core competencies of a recovery coach, including strength-based goal planning, social support, linkage to services, and building recovery capital. You will finish the training understanding the roles and responsibilities of a recovery coach and the process for obtaining certification.
The cost for the five-day Peer Recovery Coach Institute is $320, which includes breakfast each day and snacks. Additional expenses you may want to budget for are travel, overnight accommodations, and evening meals. Scholarships may be available, contact Training and Leadership Coordinator Selinda Stockley with questions.
To become a certified Peer Recovery Support Specialist in the State of Texas, you must meet the minimum education and residency requirements, verify your education and training, complete 500 hours of volunteer or paid work experience with supervision, pass the International Peer Examination, and pay a fee for your certificate. The certification is valid for two years once you have earned it. Learn more at https://www.tcbap.org/page/certification.
Upcoming Training Dates 2019
February classe postponed – Due to changes in the training and certification process related to the implementation of HB 1486 allowing for the reimbursement of peer recovery support as a Medicaid billable service in Texas, the training class for February has been postponed. CforR is working to facilitate clarification of the requirements to ensure that participants needs are met. We will reschedule training sessions as soon as possible.
May 6 – 10 (Mon – Fri)
July 19 – 21 & 27 – 28 (Weekends)
October 22 – 26 (Mon – Fri)
Download and complete the application to the best of your ability, and send it to our training coordinator at email@example.com Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted for a brief interview.
Save a Life
Learn how to respond to an overdose emergency
Get Naloxone Now is an online resource to train people to respond effectively to an opioid-associated overdose emergency.
Resources for Recovery Coaches
- C4R Recovery Coach Resource Folder –Forms, tools, guides, training docs, etc. for recovery coaches.
- PRS Certification Steps and Requirements (after the training class) –A summary of the steps and requirements to complete the testing, application, and certification to become a peer recovery support specialist for substance use disorder in Texas after a person has taken the 46 hour PRS training.
- Recovery Coach Resources Facebook Group –Facebook group to support recovery coaches and recovery coach trainers (closed group, must request membership).
- Recovery Webinars from NAADAC
- Check out our Youtube Training Playlist
Job Listings for Recovery Coaches
- Texas Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- indeed.com: Recovery Support Specialist – Be sure to enter search terms for location.
- Mission Capital – Positions at nonprofits in Austin and throughout Central Texas, including jobs, internships and board seats. Be sure to enter search terms like “Peer Support Specialist.”
- Integral Care Career Opportunities
- Bluebonnet Trails Career Opportunities